International friendly match: United States against Morocco
June 1, 2022
TQL stage; Cincinnati, Ohio
Pre-game coverage: 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2, UniMás and TUDN
Kick-off: 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2, UniMás and TUDN
Social media: @USMNT on Twitter and instagram; American football on Facebook The American football app
Tonight’s USMNT starting XI against Morocco: 1-Matt Turner; 22-Reggie Cannon, 3-Walker Zimmerman, 15-Aaron Long, 5-Antonee Robinson; 4-Tyler Adams, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 6-Yunus Musah; 21-Tim Weah, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 10-Christian Pulisic (captain)
Subs: 25-Sean Johnson, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 7-Paul Arriola, 8-Weston McKennie, 12-Erik Palmer-Brown, 14-Luca de la Torre, 16-Cristian Roldan, 17-Malik Tillman, 19-Haji Wright , 20-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 24-George Bello, 29-Joe Scally
PLAY NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT MOROCCO
- USMNT starting XI pick numbers (including this game): Christian Pulisic (49), Walker Zimmerman (29), Tyler Adams (28), Antonee Robinson (26), Reggie Cannon (25), Aaron Long (24), Tim Weah (23), Brenden Aaronson (19), Yunus Musah (17), Matt Turner (17), Jesús Ferreira (10)
- Tonight’s starting XI has an average age of 25 years and 35 days.
- The USMNT roster averages 23 selections.
- Six players started the last game for the United States on March 30 in Costa Rica: defenders Walker Zimmerman and Antonee Robinson, midfielders Tyler Adams and Yunus Musah and forwards Christian Pulisic and Tim Weah. Striker Jesús Ferreira also came off the bench in that game.
- Centre-back Aaron Long earns his first start since the 2-1 win over Northern Ireland on March 28, 2021. After recovering from a broken Achilles suffered in May 2021, Long returned to the squad during the March window, making two substitute appearances in the 0-0 draw in Mexico and 5-1 win over Panama.
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner, defender Reggie Cannon and midfielder Brenden Aaronson are also back after missing the March window. The trio last appeared in the 3-0 win over Honduras on February 2, with Turner and Cannon starting the game and Aaronson coming off the bench in the 76e minute.
- Turner has conceded just six goals in 16 appearances since making his USMNT debut last July. With 11 career clean sheets, the 27-year-old guard is already tied with Arnie Mausser for sixth all-time on the USMNT shutout list.
- After playing on the wing for most of last year, Brenden Aaronson steps into midfield for the first time since the World Cup qualifiers opened on September 2, 2021 in El Salvador.
- Antonee Robinson is the only player to start all seven USMNT matches in 2022. Robinson has started each of the last 10 matches he has been in camp, only missing the 1-0 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina in of the team’s national training camp. last December.
- Captaining the team for the ninth time tonight, Christian Pulisic is the other starter to feature in all seven of USA’s matches in 2022. Pulisic scored what was the winner in the team’s first appearance at the TQL Stadium, in the 2-0 qualifying win over Mexico last November.
- Aaron Long and Walker Zimmerman team up in central defense for the first time since the 1-0 win over Costa Rica on Feb. 1, 2020. The USMNT is 6-1-0 when they team up.
- Three replacements could make their USMNT debut tonight: defender Joe Scally, midfielder Malik Tillman and forward Haji Wright.
- A total of 53 players have made their senior team debuts in the 50 games under Gregg Berhalter, placing him third behind Bruce Arena (89 starts in 159 games) and Bob Bradley (60 starts in 80 games).
- Midfielder Kellyn Acosta, goalkeeper Ethan Horvath and striker Jordan Morris are undressed for tonight’s game. Teams are allowed six substitutions.
- The United States are 0-3-0 against Morocco. In the last meeting, the USMNT fell 1-0 on a 90e one-minute goal in a World Cup warm-up match on 23 May 2006 in Nashville, Tenn.
- Ismael Cornejo of El Salvador is the referee for tonight’s game. He previously refereed the USMNT’s 2-1 friendly win over Ghana on July 1, 2017 in East Hartford, Connecticut.