MSU Earns “Gold Status” From Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency For 7th Time | MSUToday
Michigan State University has achieved the highest “gold status” in the Michigan Veterans Agency in its annual ranking of veteran-friendly schools. The ranking recognizes higher education institutions for their dedication to veteran students and dependents using their GI bill and other educational benefits. This is the seventh consecutive year that MSU has achieved this status.
“Earning MVAA Gold Level Veteran-Friendly School status requires us to deliver on our commitments and provide support beyond the Veterans Resource Center,” said Patrick Foristek, Director of the Resource Center for Veteran Students. “MSU’s continued ability to achieve this level is only possible through campus-wide support for our veterans, their dependents, and those currently serving.”
MSU participates in the Michigan Veteran Education Initiative and operates the Veteran Student Resource Centerwithin the Division of Student Life and Engagement, providing programs and services to support veteran students and their families at MSU.
The MVAA uses seven criteria to determine the level of support provided to student veterans and military-related students on campus. A college must meet at least six of these seven criteria to achieve gold status:
- An established process for the identification of current student veterans
- A website dedicated to veterans
- A student-run active veterans club or association
- Veteran-specific career services resources, advice, and/or outcome tracking
- A veteran on-campus coordinator and/or designated staff point of contact
- A system in place to assess and award credit based on prior military training and experience
- Systems for tracking and evaluating student veteran retention, transfer, and graduation rates
MSU is home to more than 400 student veterans and more than 2,000 military-affiliated students and continues to demonstrate that it has the infrastructure and services necessary to support veterans and their academic success.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about the education benefits offered by VA can be found on the official US government website.