SLO County Family-Friendly Workplaces Launches Rewards Program
The award aims to “recognize and support organizations that adopt and implement family-friendly practices for their employees”
– SLO County Family Friendly Workplaces announced a new rewards program for public, private and non-profit employers of all sizes on the Central Coast. The SLO County Family-Friendly Workplace Award is intended to recognize and support organizations that adopt and implement family-friendly practices for their employees.
Employers across the county are encouraged to take the family-friendly workplace assessment, which serves as a tool to “assess an employer’s family-friendly policies, celebrate what they already have in place, and connect them directly with personalized assistance to learn about practical and tangible next steps,” according to the organization. It’s the start of a process that will work with the unique needs of the organization and ultimately make them more attractive to current and potential workers. At the end of the assessment, companies can choose to receive a reward.
The award structure is designed to elevate employers who strive to adopt more family-friendly practices at all levels of implementation. There are five reward tiers that cover five distinct areas:
1) Employer sponsored child care benefits,
2) Flexible work and hours,
3) Paid and unpaid leave,
4) Flexible health care benefits and expenses, and
5) Accommodation and support for new parents.
“Many employers are already implementing family-friendly practices without realizing it,” says Christina Lefevre Latner, Workplace Development Manager. “Flexible hours, remote working, predictable hours, working children, paid holidays and insurance options are all family-friendly policies worth highlighting as such, and we want to recognize these efforts to support families, grow our economy and encourage other organizations to do the same.
The assessment is the first step in connecting an employer to SLO County Family-Friendly Workplaces, a program launched by the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce in October 2021. The program was built on the belief that improving culture and creating more human-centric policies is essential to supporting business success, growing the economy and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within of the work force. It will help businesses attract and retain a strong local workforce through the implementation of family-friendly policies, allowing more parents to return to work. Any company that completes the assessment will receive an invitation to meet with the SLO Chamber Workforce Development Manager and receive tools and resources to continue their efforts.
Employers who complete the assessment and meet recognition criteria will receive a certificate of recognition, an SLO County Family-Friendly Workplace seal for use on the organization’s website, promotional and recruiting materials, media recognition, employer inclusion on the SLO Family-Friendly Workplace Website and invitations to networking opportunities and special events. Additionally, a family-friendly workplace toolkit is available as a resource for all businesses.
Early adopters of the program who have already passed the assessment and received recognition for their family-friendly policies include:
- Rantec Power Systems, Silver Rising Star
- Morris & Garritano Insurance, Diamond Distinguished Champion
- The Land Conservancy, Platinum Trail Blazer
- Premier County 5 SLO, Committed Leader Gold
- Scientific Drilling, Silver Rising Star
- Trust Animation, Platinum Trail Blazer
- Water Systems Consulting, Platinum Trail Blazer